8 January : 1545-1615 hrs
â€˜Consular Services to Overseas Indians: Ensuring Effective & Efficient Delivery.â€™
Seesion Coordinator : Dr. Deepak Mittal, Joint Secretary (CPV), Ministry of External Affairs
Confirmed Plenary Seesion Participants :
- Mr. Selvarajoo Sundram, Chairman GOPIO, Malaysia
- Mr. Rajmal Parakh, Chairman and MD, Bio genomics Research Ltd, Oman
- Mr Madan Murlidhar Dulloo, Founder Member, Movement Socialist Militant (MSM), Mauritius.
- Mr Ashook Ramsaran, President of Indian Diaspora Council, USA
- Mr Adapa Vara Prasad, President and CEO of Stratogix, USA
- Mr. Tara Chand Sharma, IT Professional (Retired) and a Social Worker for charities and community organizations, Australia
- Mr Nareshkumar Chavda, National Alliance Indo-Canadian Organization, Canada
- Mr Amit Tiwari, Senior Vice President -Operational Risk Management at Citi
- Mr Ashok Mago, Founder Chairman, US-India Chamber of Commerce, USA
- Dr. Rajesh Rai, Associate Professor & Deputy Head of South Asian Studies Programme, National University Singapore, Singapore
- Dr. Krishnamurthy Kumar, Procurement Contracts & Support Manager, UAE
- Mr. Selvarajoo Sundram, is the Chairman, Global organization of people of Indian Origin, Malaysia. He was a pivotal force in reviving and revamping the Malaysian Association of Indian University Graduates (MAIUG) in the early 1980s. He participated in the inaugural session of the PIO conference in New York in September 1989 and became a founding member of the Global Organization for People of Indian Origin (GOPIO). Since then, he has provided the much needed leadership in building the global network of PIOs. He was President of GOPIO Malaysia for two terms and he was pivotal for the global drive to network PIOs. Within a decade, GOPIO established its strong presence in the global PIO community with Mauritius as its International Headquarters. He is currently Chairman of GOPIO International, steered the PIO organization with regular academic, entrepreneurship and cultural international Forums and Conferences. A highly notable achievement was his joint leadership for GOPIO to co-organize with the Government of India the 6th GOPIO International Conference in 6th â€“ 8th Jan 2001, New Delhi and the successful tabling of PIOâ€™s request for an annual engagement with India which is currently the â€˜Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Conventionâ€™; PIO Card; request for a PIO University; PIO Youth Exchange (currently â€˜Know Your Indiaâ€™ programme). The presence and active support of the then Prime Minister of India, Shri Atal Vajpayee was effective.
- Mr. Ashook K. Ramsaran, is Indian origin born in Guyana and residing since 1968 in USA. He is president of Indian Diaspora Council & ex-president of GOPIO International (GOPIO). He is actively engaged in Indian Diaspora activities globally. He is a US graduate in Electrical Engineering and founder/president of Ramex, Inc. a US-based manufacturing company. He has recommended many practical improvements for Indian consular offices to be more effective in representation of India in respective jurisdictions including: Responsible engagement and interaction with Indian and non-Indian communities; uniformity and efficiency in OCI/OIC cards, visas, passport processing; community outreach and responsiveness; jurisdictional coverage; promotion of services and schemes.
- Mr. Nareshkumar N Chavda, is the President of Globayan Immigration Corporation, Canada; Director - Indo Canada Chamber of Commerce for Year 2016- 2018 & Director - NAIC (National Alliance Of Indo Canadian) Organization. He is practicing Immigration Law as an Immigration Consultant located in Toronto, Canada & is Commissioner of Oath-Ontario. He processes more than 1000 Immigration cases as part of his professional work and deal with many diplomatic missions abroad (High Commission, Consulate Offices) of various countries too. He holds his Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management; Masters in Business Management & LLM.
- Mr. Amit Tiwari, is the Senior Vice President in an Investment Bank in London. His interests are social services, raising awareness of Minority rights overseas and also building bridges with a viewpoint to influence policies. He is the General Secretary of Overseas Friends of BJP (U.K)
- Mr. Rajesh Rai, is an Associate Professor and Deputy Head of the South Asian Studies Programme (SASP), South Asian Nationalisms and Postcolonial History and Politics of South Asia. He has edited several books on the South Asian Diaspora including the Encyclopedia of the Indian Diaspora (2006). He has won several teaching awards at NUS and has long been involved in community service activities in Singapore, serving on several national level advisory boards including the Hindu Advisory Board and the Indian Heritage Centre. He is currently the President and Life Trustee of Arya Samaj Singapore. During the plenary session, he will focus on Indian consular services, specifically vis-Ã -vis transnational professionals and workers, and fostering diasporic fraternity.
- Mr. Ashok Mago, is a Padma Shri and Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awardee; also a distinguished Alumnus of University of Texas at Dallas & is Chairman and CEO of Mago and Associates- a Dallas-based real estate, business and investment company. He started his career in banking in India before migrating to the US in 1974 where he earned an MBA from the University of Texas at Dallas. Through his varied and extensive contributions to Public service, he has acquired and developed a broad portfolio of expertise in public policy issues such as commerce, healthcare, tourism, community relations and education. Ashok is the Founding Chairman of US-India Chamber of Commerce, which facilitates trade between India and the US. Further, he served as the Past District Governor of the Lions International District 2X1, director first independent bank and Dallas Fort Worth International Airport Board. Currently, he serves as a Regent on the University of North Texas Board of Regents and Board Member for the following organizations: Salvation Army Advisory, Dallas County Community College Foundation, Primary Care Clinic of North Texas, BBVA Compass Bank Advisory Board.
- Mr. Tara Chand Sharma, is an IT Professional (Retired) and a social worker for charities and community organizations in Australia. He is ex- general secretary of Ekal Vidyalaya Australia, Ex Vice Chairman of Hindu Council of Australia, and ex- Coordinator of Australian Hindi Committee. He was instrumental in getting Hindi included in Australian National curriculum development. He has been in the forefront as an organizer of Indian culture shows/ events for the Indian community and is still part of organizing Sydneyâ€™s Biggest Deepavali Mela, fostering interest in Indian culture. He is a Mechanical Engineer with expertise in Business Management, SAP consultancy, IT programme / Project management.
- Mr. Madan Dullo, is a prominent senior Politician and Barrister in Mauritius. He has been elected Member of Parliament in seven General Elections since 1976. He held different Ministerial portfolios in the Government of Mauritius, including Foreign Affairs, International Trade & International Cooperation; Agriculture, Fisheries & Natural Resources; Attorney General & Minister of Justice. He was the Chairman of several Parliamentary Committees, including on the promotion of Oriental Languages at schools and on Drug Trafficking. He has presided over various International and Regional Organisations, including Council of Ministers of African Union, FAO, Commonwealth Law Ministers, SADC, COMESA, and Indian Ocean Commission. He was the ministerial negotiator in the WTO Doha Round, ACP/EU and AGOA/USA Negotiations. He signed together with Shri Pranab Mukherjee the protocol agreement for the official launching of the World Hindi Secretariat in Mauritius in 2008. His main focus is on, Consular Services and International Relations; Constitutional, Legal and Human Rights; Trade, Economic and Cultural cooperation."
Mr. Adapa V. Prasad is the President and CEO of Stratogix, a data management consulting firm based in Maryland, USA. His expertise is in Science and Technology with a focus in Enterprise Data Management and Governance. He is a technology strategy leader with 27 years of experience in academics, corporate, and government consulting. He is a well-known community activist of the Indian Diaspora with a special focus on Consular Services, and fostering Indo-US strategic partnership and cooperation. He regularly interacts with American think-tanks and lawmakers on causes of India and Diaspora. He did Ph.D. in Cancer Genetics from BHU, India.
- Mr. Rajmal Parakh, is the Chairman and Managing Director of Biogenomics Limited, India. His main area of expertise is management in the Pharma and Automobile sectors. He is settled in Muscat, Oman over the last 40 years. He has formed a charitable trust in the name of RM Parakh, a Charitable Foundation, to carry out social and charitable activities. He was awarded the Pravasi Bharatiya Award in the year 2015.
- Dr. Krishnamurthy Kumar, is the Procurement, Contracts & Support Manager, UAE. He has worked towards expanding Indiaâ€™s interest and extending understanding on issues pertaining to Indian diversity and religious harmony in the UAE. As the founding Governor of Indian Business Professional Council under the Dubai Chamber of Commerce and Industry, he promotes Indo-UAE trade through interactive seminars, business meets, etc. He has been ceaselessly working for the welfare of fellow Indians in Dubai for over 35 years. He has extended assistance to Indian prisoners, managed to raise â€˜blood moneyâ€™ to secure the release of some of them and played a key role in facilitating repatriation of a large number of Indians during the amnesties offered by UAE Government. He was bestowed with the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award in recognition of his services to the Indian community.